Monday, April 27, 2009

Bad blogger!

I confess, I am a bad blogger. I have thousands of notes, on just about any subject you can think of, in notebooks that span many years, but I seem incapable of turning them into something that people might like to read. For a while, I have been telling myself that it is just a question of time, and that the words will come as soon as all the pieces fall into place, but of course I know that the pieces will only fall into place if I "do my homework", which in my case means doing exactly what I am not doing, namely polishing each idea - in writing - until it becomes something that someone might like to read.

For many years, I tried doing this verbally, by throwing out ideas, just to see how they sound. Unfortunately, I can/could get quite argumentative when people dismiss the idea without giving it the attention I think it deserves. Which is in fact most of the time. End result: lots of unpleasant and unfruitful discussions, sometimes even to the point of losing the person as a discussion partner.

So now I do the same thing in writing. You might think I would have learned from experience, and would at least have the decency to feel guilty about harassing people with my mental diarrhoea. But there is a big difference: you, the reader, can stop reading any time you like, and I never get upset! A win-win situation all round, as far as I can see!

So congratulations and thanks for getting this far. I will try to continue to make it worth your while. :-)


Postscript: I just realized that Kathy Reichs does the same thing in the series "Bones" (a murder mystery t.v. series my wife and I try to watch when we can), but better: she delivers lectures on just about anything you can imagine on the sly, by integrating them into the plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment