Saturday, June 27, 2009

More things I love to hate

In one of my previous entries, I listed a few "things I love to hate", in an aside. Since then, I have been thinking a lot about the common denominator between them. But it's more fun to let you, the reader, try to figure it out yourself. Here are, in more or less random order, some of the things I love to hate.

filter cigarettes
alcohol-free beer
decaf coffee
sugar substitutes
sugar and caffeine-free cola
vegetarian hamburgers

perfume
high heels
make-up

breast implants
botox lips

OK, the last two are a bit of a give-away: everything on the list is about "faking it". The first set are all foodstuffs where we have taken out the key ingredient. This may be useful for those among us who want to stop smoking, drinking, going on sugar highs or getting too fat, but they should be temporary solutions, not permanent fixtures in our lives. If you want to avoid the risks of tobacco, stop smoking (I know it's hard, but it can be done), if you are worried about caffeine or alcohol, drink tea or water, and if you, like me, are worried about sugar, find a healthy substitute, not this artificial stuff with unknown side effects.

The second set are things women do - on purpose/consciously or not - to increase their attractiveness. Perfume, when used properly, can smell very nice, but does make it impossible to detect the natural smells, which can be quite important. According to a BBC programme I saw some time ago, smell is one of the most important crtieria for deciding on potential partners. High heels force the hips into a position that makes them look bigger, and big, tilted hips is interpreted as a symbol of fertility. Naturally red, enlarged lips and dark areas around women's eyes are also signs of fertility. In modern western society, we are bombarded by good-smelling, well-dressed women in high heels and make-up: more and more, this is standard office attire. I think this is a shame for several reasons, one also because it makes it all the more difficult to read the real signs when they are there. Personally, I prefer not be fooled, confused or manipulated.

As for the last two items on the list, all I can say is do it very, very well or not at all. There's nothing more disappointing than discovering how a trick works while the magic show is still on.

No comments:

Post a Comment