Monday, December 28, 2009

Next blog, please

The first time I used the "Next blog" function (at the top of this page, last item on the left) , I quite liked it. Like a trip through the strange and wonderful world of other people's minds, each click would take me somewhere else. In that time, I have seen blogs on owl tatoos, informatics, anthropology, pink pride ... just about anything under the sun. Since blogger abandoned the random principle, however, I am less enchanted.

I have tried to find the link between what I write and the "next blog" (e.g. in the blogspot blog) but it is not obvious. It promises to present the reader with related material in the same language, and it does. But I expected something similar to targetted advertising, in which case it would either use the key words I enter, the text itself, and/or any links to my blog. Had that been the case, my next blogs would have probably been a strange mixture of natural sciences, raising children, and home-grown psychology. Lately, however, most of my "next blogs" are from fundamentalist Christian (Protestant) families. The family part I can understand - I do write about my children a lot - but the Christian part? I am an ex-Catholic writing mostly about humanist values. (Yes, I realise that I am still more similar to Protestants than to Muslims or Hindus, but still).

Of course, I could always start censoring myself, and only publish entries on politics, art, science and philosophy, or better still, create separate blogs, one for each main area of interest. But I already have four (this one, two on music, and one at work), each one presenting a slightly difference aspect of myself. Anytime now I will develop the first documented case of multiple virtual personality disorder.

No comments:

Post a Comment