Friday, December 21, 2012

Comments now restricted

Lately, my blogging activity has been dominated so much by spammed comments that I have decided to impose restrictions on who can comment. Hopefully, that will help.

I am however still quite interested in why anyone would take the trouble to create so many fake comments. So far, I have come up with the following possible explanations:

1. Free advertising: each of the comments also includes a link, and an invitation to visit the site referred to. That idea would however had seemed more likely if there had been a discernible pattern (a link between the various links), but I cannot seem to find any.

2. Someone is trying to collapse the system by generating too much traffic. Again, not very likely, and certainly not very effective.

3. Google itself is trying to get people to do what I just did: restrict traffic voluntarily, but imposing restrictions on who gets to comment. Again, very unlikely.

4. Some nutcase has it in for bloggers in general, or certain bloggers. Possible, but not very effective: all he or she has achieved is waste a little bit of my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment