Thursday, February 12, 2009

Communication overload

The Internet is great, but it can get confusing. I no longer suffer from information overload, because I am quite selective in what I read/watch/listen to. But I am suffer from a still relatively mild case of communication overload. I currently have four different music sites to my name, a couple of videos on YouTube, am member of two different social networks and have, all in all, four different email accounts. None of these sites require much security, but they do all need logons and passwords. Which means I either need a much better memory than I actually have, or I have to write them down somewhere, which is of course not very secure at all. That is one symptom of communication overload. But there are others. 

I have, for example, already had the first case of knowing that I wrote someone an email, and more or less remembering what was in it, but not knowing how I sent it. Was it through Facebook, Myspace, Gmail or my work email? And I have at times been reading the same messages twice or more, because several of my email sites forward messages automatically to my gmail, which then automatically forwards them to my work email. This has only been going on for two weeks now, and already, I realise I am going to have to turn that feature off.  

Which is of course the cure for communication overload: reduce the input to manageable levels. But it is not so easy. If I do turn it off, I risk missing emails that I would normally want to read. I suspect that I might be tempted to log on anyway, just in case. Reminds me of an old Mad magazine cartoon, where one executive is bragging to the other about how "in touch" he is, thanks to modern technology, whereupon the other responds that the real luxury is being able to be out of touch. 

Now, if I could only find my passwords ... 



No comments:

Post a Comment