Monday, July 27, 2009

Cold turkey (internet style)

Lately, there have been a lot of coincidences in my life. Of course I know that most coincidences are really just the result of heigthened awareness of something (suddenly seeing things that were there all along), but still. The other day, I started investigating the seven virtues, with the idea of perhaps using them in a story. That very same day, on t.v., "click on-line" had an item on a computer game that used the seven virtures and vices.

And yesterday, while cleaning up some old books, I came across a letter of someone I met once, more than 30 years ago. Out of curiosity, I tried finding him on the Internet, but didn't. I did find several references to a woman with the same last name, who was apparently a well-known authority on computer addiction, and had lately been working on Internet addiction.

That very evening my router and modem died, and I was able to experience Internet withdrawal symptoms* first hand. It is terrible. So terrrible, that I am writing this entry from my place of work (a definite no-no in my book, but addicts will stop at nothing to feed their addiction ...)

*I first wrote "cold turkey" but later realized that in fact, it was more like being in a methadon program, because I still had access to a watered-down substitute version of Internet at work.

Postscript: I am back on-line again. My drug dealer/internet provider gave me a new router and modem, and it took me all of ten nerve-racking minutes to be up and running again. Sigh!

No comments:

Post a Comment